How do you break through the noise to capture your customers' attention?
In this month's HUG, we learned copywriting secrets from Scott Tousley, Senior Growth Marketer at HubSpot, who helped grow HubSpot Sales Products revenue by 243%. Yes, you read that right: TWO HUNDRED FORTY-THREE PERCENT.
Scott and his team at HubSpot leveraged psychological research to understand the behaviors of their customers. In his presentation, Scott shared his research and results with us (all within the bounds of HubSpot Legal, of course), and armed us all with copywriting frameworks to help generate more leads, nurture leads into customers, and turn customers into promoters.
5 Copywriting Secrets Backed by Pshycology:
- The Pareto Law of Copywriting: the 80/20 rule- 80% of the output comes from 20% of the input. How can we spend less time selling while still closing more deals?
- The Zeigarnik Effect: it's psychologically uncomfortable to not finish something we've started. (a.k.a. why we spend hours binge watching Netflix)
- FOMO: Fear Of Missing Out. How can you leverage FOMO with your offers?
- The Auto Prospector: less searching, more talking. How can marketing and sales work together to write effective emails?
- ...and you'll have to check out Scott's presentation to find out number 5 (see, that's the Zeigarnick Effect in action!)
Check out Scott's presentation below:
Scott also shared some of his favorite copywriting resources with us:
- Kopywriting Kourse, a blog from Neville Medhora, a copywriter from our very own violet crown, Austin, Texas.
- Ca$hvertising by Drew Eric Whitman- despite its ultra salesy name, this books dives into the powerful influence of proven scientific principles of advertising psychology.
- The Boron Letters by Gary C. Halbert- While in prison, Halbert wrote letters of advice and wisdom to his son, Boron, that contain actionable insights on copywriting, sales, and life.
- The Robert Collier Letter Book by Robert Collier- want to learn how to write a sales email that improves your company's bottom line? Read expert advice from copywriting mastermind Robert Collier.
- The Call to Action copywriting course from Rami Sethi, New York Times bestselling author and founder of GrowthLab.com.
You can also check out the persona template Scott and his team use to do persona interviews following the Dreams, Pains, and Barriers format mentioned in the presentation above. Next time you're interviewing your customers and developing personas, try using this template.
A huge thanks to Scott for sharing his copywriting and psychology secrets with us!
- Be on the lookout for our Austin HUG end-of-year survey coming to your inbox next month.
- Our next Austin HUG meetup will be January 18, 2018. See you there!